The AMRC Composite Centre is based in a dedicated 1800 sq m extension to the AMRC Factory of the Future.
The Composite Centre facility includes a general workshop and 900 sq m of high-spec clean rooms. It houses a range of state-of-the-art design, development and processing equipment, including a filament winding machine, automated tape/tow placement robot, five-axis machining centre, heated press, and selection of autoclaves and ovens. We also have access to the wide range of machining centres in the main Factory of the Future workshop, including a large five-axis waterjet machining centre, plus the specialist services and resources of the other AMRC research groups.
Key resources include:
- ADC robotic fibre placement system with thermoplastic tape/tow, thermoset tape and multi-tow thermoset capability, 1.2m diameter x 2.75m.
- MF Tech robotic filament winding machine with wet/dry and prepreg capability, 1.2m diameter x 4m.
- Isojet Combi RTM equipment.
- LBBC autoclave, 3m x 5m, 10 bar, 210°C.
- LBBC autoclave, 1m x 2m, 20 bar, 400°C.
- Caltherm curing oven, 3m x 3m x 3m, 230°C.
- Vötsch microwave curing facility, 1.8m x 2.8m, 450°C.
- Langzauner laboratory press, 300 tonne, 400°C, 1m x 1.5m platen, suitable for thermoset/thermoplastic processing, thermoforming, RTM etc.
- CMS 5 axis machining centre.
- Eastman NC ply cutter, 2m x 4m.
- WardJet GCM waterjet/milling centre, 1.5m vertical x 4m cross-beam x 8m horizontal travel.
- Mega 5 tooling capacity.
- ISO class 8 clean room, 900 sq m with integral freezer.
- Patran and Nastran FEA software.
- Modelling, design and simulation software, including WiseTex, Catia V5 and PolyWorks.
- SimaPro life cycle assessment software.