The Work-holding and Automation Group is focusing on fixture static, fixture dynamics, vibration control, noise control, distortion control, residual stress release, flexible hinge, hydraulics, pneumatics, precision engineering & related product development.
Our group is focused on:
- Fixture statics – location theory, method, and accuracy; clamping force, clamping strength, and clamping distortion.
- Fixture dynamics – dynamics related geometrical characteristics, beam vibration, shell vibration, disk vibration, and bell-like vibration.
- Vibration control – stiffening techniques (modal shape control), and damping techniques (dynamic stiffness control).
- Noise control – control the ultra-thin-wall component produced noise, make the machining quiet.
- Distortion control and Residual stress release – distortion prediction and control, use the floating and lockable clamp technique to minimise the residual stress release produced distortion, including twist, bending in disk, blisk, ring, cover plate, blade, vane, and shaft.
- Flexible hinge – flexible hinge related devices, such as mandrels and chucks.
- Hydraulics in work-holding – hydraulic system design and development in manufacturing.
- Pneumatics in work-holding – pneumatic system design and development in manufacturing.
- Large component design and optimisation – optimisation of geometrical configuration and static-dynamic performance.
- Precision engineering related structure optimisation – precision long probe design and optimisation.
We have extensive software resources, including statics, dynamics, thermal dynamics, explicit dynamics, fluid dynamics, fixture design. Software providers and packages include Abaqus, Ansys and Ls-dyna.
For more information, please contact: