The AMRC leads and participates in numerous pan-European collaborative research projects.
Our European projects team are responsible for managing research projects under the European Framework Programmes, and preparing bids for new research funding.
Current projects operate under the European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programe (FP7), which runs until 2013. FP7 features regular calls for research proposals in particular areas – for example, machining technologies for composites, or supply chain approaches for small-run production.
Projects are based on collaborative research involving the AMRC, industrial partners, and other research institutions and companies across Europe, and typically run for 3-4 years.
The European projects team helps AMRC staff develop ideas and prepare proposals for funding applications. They also help manage the administration of successful proposals, and dissemination of results.
Current FP7 projects led by the AMRC:
- COPERNICO – Cooperation Environment for Rapid Design, Prototyping and New Integration Concepts for the Factory of the Future. The AMRC is developing a cladistic system for understanding company requirements, and working with industrial partners on factory design. See the project video on YouTube.
- REFORM – Resource-Efficient Factory Of Recyclable Manufacturing for composite components. Our work includes developing innovative waterjet machining techniques and augmented-reality systems for composites production.
Previous FP6 projects led by the AMRC:
- RAPOLAC – Rapid Production of Large Aerospace Components. We led development of a prototype Shaped Metal Deposition production cell, and carried out material analysis. See the project video on YouTube.
- AFFIX – Aligning, Holding & Fixing Flexible & Difficult to Handle Components. We investigated a range of automated assembly systems based on the real-life problems of industrial partners. See the project video on YouTube.
The AMRC is also a partner in other European collaborative projects including:
- ADMAP-GAS – Advanced Manufacturing Processes for Gas-Engine Turbine Components. The AMRC is studying the use of waterjet machining for fir-tree profiles.
- E-LIGHT – Advanced Structural Light-Weight Architectures for Electric Vehicles. We are leading research into new materials and joining techniques for electric vehicles.
- ENEPLAN – Energy Efficient Process Planning System. We are developing intelligent systems to make sure that machining processes are energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
- FLEXA – Advanced Flexible Automation Cell. We are developing flexible aerospace automation cells for laser welding and grinding.
- FRAME – Fast Ramp Up and Adaptive Manufacturing Environment. We are investigating production ramp-up at the system level.
- KITVES – wind energy generation from high-altitude kites. We are testing the developed systems.
For more information, please contact:
Dr Rosemary Gault, European projects manager